Sunday, January 21, 2007

It Has to be Genuine

'I never knew how to worship until I knew how to love.'

Henry Ward Beecher

This is so true, and as Pearl Bailey said, 'Love is The sweetest joy, the wildest woe is love.'

But love is only worth it when it is genuine and we will know it. As Melanie Griffith, Milk Money, puts it cutely,

'There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.'

But before you fall, remember what Albert Einstein said, 'Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love.' Ha ha ha.

Well, those of you who have seen 'As good as it gets', will remember this scene. To me, I go for a person who is genuine. Nevermind if he is clumsy. Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson), in this movie, is outrageously clumsy, but he is genuine.

Here's a scene of Melvin Udall sharing some affection with his love interest, Carol Connelly (Helen Hunt). If you have not watched the movie, do make an effort. This movie holds varied life's lessons, for me, especially on forgiveness and being accommodating to faults. When one can be very forgiving and accommodating, life is beautiful!

Here you go:


Helen Hunt (Carol Connelly): Come on in, and try not to ruin everything by being you.

Jack Nicholson (Melvin Udall): I've got a really great compliment for you, and its true.

Helen Hunt (Carol Connelly): I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.

Jack Nicholson (Melvin Udall): Don't be pessimistic, it's not your style. Anyway, here goes: I've got this, what, ailment. Now, my doctor, this shrink I used to go to all the time, says that in fifty to sixty percent of cases, a pill really helps. I HATE pills, hate them. I'm using the word "hate" about pills. Anyway, my compliment to you is the night after you came over and said that you would never . . . well, you were there, you know what you said. Anyway, the very next morning, I started taking the pills.

Helen Hunt (Carol): I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.

Jack Nicholson (Melvin): You make me want to be a better man.

Helen Hunt (Carol): That's maybe the best compliment of my life.

Jack Nicholson (Melvin): Well maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out.

No comments: