Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sudirman, we miss you!

What do you think of our latest up-to-the-minute home grown idols, divas, superstars, what have you? We are constantly reminded of them. Their images are thrown to us via varied tabloids and televised at us hours end on end, daily. Every which way I looked, I see them, to the point of nightmares, screaming frightening nightmares.

Boy! I must be bonkers.

People getting dreams of their idols and divas don’t want to be awakened…ha ha ha.

You see, I don’t understand the hype of it all, over these new idols and divas. Ok lah, the lady divas, I give it to them, a teensy weensy bit (I must be quite a sour grape...ha ha ha), some of them have voice, some of them have talent, some of them could be said to be pretty but what about their talent up there, as in the brains?

Some male idols, a-d-u-u-uh! Sorry lah, I can’t seem to give many positive points, or many positive attributes. You are kind of ordinary mates (I mean, let me qualify myself, with regards to the hype over them), I mean when I found out who some of these famed idols were, they did not sort of tie in, with all the furore that has been accorded to them. All the hype! Some of them, aren’t that outstanding in the vocal department, nor looks department (ok lah, maybe some of them, their looks s-o s-o lah), nor personality department. So what the heck? Please someone, please stand up, and explain to me this crazy phenomenon over some particular idols and divas.

Where are the entertainers in the mould of the late Sudirman, who himself was trained in law. Where are the second echelon of the likes of Khatijah Ibrahim, Noor kumalasari, Salamiah Hassan, Zain Azman? Of course these entertainers are still around, and when we do see them perform, they are of a different class altogether.

These entertainers are so exposed and sophisticated that they can perform anywhere in this world quite confidently.

All the names I mentioned above, though by no means an exhaustive list, they are highly educated, utterly suave, out-of-charts talented, terribly ahead of their time always, supremely interesting, and maybe a few more superlatives you wanna add.

They have high communication skills. They speak both Bahasa and English with sophistication. So they can communicate well anywhere.

To have good communication skills, is quite key, to success. Everything has to do with communication. In the corporate world, in the business arena, in the political field, even in love matters between 2 people, it has all to do with communication. One negotiates, one argues, one presents, one pleads, one laments, one pour out affections. Can we see the importance of communication? These ones I mentioned above, have it.

They are well exposed. Therefore this exposure gives them that sense of confidence that exudes a certain attractive aura about them. Just hear them say, ‘Hey, how are you?’, yes, even that sounds like music. It’s just not about merely saying things, it has to do with the way you say it too. The ‘inside out’ thingy. People don’t say 'you have charisma' for nothing. They say it, because you deserve it. You have what it takes. Yeah, the ‘inside out’ factor.

This ‘inside out’ thingy is all about knowledge. What is it that you know? How much do you know? The more you know, the more savvy you are, the more attractive you become. You have that sense of presence then.

Ok maybe our current young idols and divas, are ultra sexy. Yeah, perhaps, I overlooked in that department maybe...hmm.

Wait a minute! Haven’t you heard, there are even great surveys done on our sexiness? What is sexy? How is a person sexy? ...and on and on. They say to be outrageously sexy, contrary to believe, SIZE DOES MATTER. Did I hear some one just gasped? Yeah! You should? Ha ha ha. It seems size does matter (I would like to repeat for some DRAMA). Size of...BRAIN matters!! Gotcha.

Yeah! Looks alone is not enough. Hey, after all, the spirit, the soul needs to be fed too. They need sexy soul too...and that is intelligence!

The more intelligent one is, the sexier one can be. Intelligence seduces the soul.

I don’t want to sound mean (but I guess I do!). I feel our current young entertainers, are handicapped to my mind. They are handicapped, especially when they are in this highly exposed business of entertainment. You need quick wit to answer impromptu questions from reporters, inquisitive fans and such. You need intelligence to answer off the cuff and yet make audience laugh and be entertained.

But boy, it does not make sense to me, how some of these idols and divas, embracing little charisma are sure lucky to make it this BIG here. ABSURDLY PHENOMENALLY BIG (for my comprehension at least)!!!

Well in a nutshell, entertainers in our country, in general today, are not highly exposed, and so are the hardcore fans, themselves.

But YOU and ME, we are starved of good wholesome local entertainers in the mould of the late Sudirman. Oh I am going all frustrated and soppy now. Excuse me, I need some tissues.


What do you think?



Note: I have edited this entry, to the new title.
Illustration:www.pnm.my

No comments: